1 Jul 2016

Dangerous Washing Machine Fault

We got this Samsung washing machine about 5 years ago, after our old one (Fisher & Paykel) died after giving us about 35 years of trouble free service.

It's matching dryer is still in operation, now over 40 years old.   Of course, the dryer is only used in winter, and even then only on rainy days, as otherwise we hang our clothes out to dry.

At the time we bought the Samsung, the salesman disclosed to us that the model had been subject to a recall, but the fault had been remedied in factory before being sold.   We thought nothing much of it and accepted the deal.

A couple of years back we started reading about house fires caused by Samsung washing machines.

If you're interested the link to these articles and more is here.

At first, it appeared that the fires happened because the owners of machines had not been made aware of the product recall and had not had their machines repaired.

However, in the last few months reports began to emerge that even repaired machines had caught fire, as the repairs were inadequate.

A few weeks ago, Samsung rang us and offered us 3 choices:  a further inspection and repair, full monetary refund or a new equivalent machine.

Consumer protection agencies have won the day.

Believing Samsung would not want to go through this mess again, we opted for a new machine, and within a couple of weeks, they delivered a new one and took the old one away.
The new machine (above) does seem to have fewer washing options, however.  But as long as it doesn't burst into flames, I won't complain.

The original box the old machine came in is still being used as a play house by the grandchildren.   I haven't got a pic of them playing in the box, but here's one of a cat we're looking after this weekend.
While Son No 2 and DIL are in Sydney this weekend, we're looking after their fur babies.  Putt is the cat, and I've mentioned Molly and Zhaan before.

Here's a pic of Putt eating the dogs' food and keeping them away with her evil eyes.  Poor Zhaan looks most chastened.









20 comments:

  1. Thanks Arthur for the warning. We got a Samsung Washer two years ago and we have not heard of Samsung machines catching fire in Singapore. In fact my trust in Samsung consumer products has grown over recent years with my Digital TV, Refrigerator and Mobile-phone all being Samsung. Anyway, these items are still relatively new (not more than 2 years) and although they are giving excellent performance and support services, I shall inform my wife to be more alert to any fault on the washer should any arises. Note that you are also making good use of Samsung boxes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweetee, I'll send you the notification with the affected model numbers. Singapore may use different model numbers, though.

      Delete
    2. Luke Tan1:58 pm

      The cat looks fearless in the face of the 2 big dogs.

      Delete
    3. She's the boss!

      Delete
    4. I wonder what the scenario would be if Flemington was around.

      Delete
    5. He was a great chaser of cats, but never caught one. If he was still around I would not have volunteered to care for Putt, as he would be completely obsessed by her presence. I've blogged once about him coming face to face with a cat: http://i82muchblog.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/flems-feline-encounter.html

      Delete
    6. Lucky for "con méo", "con chò" was on a lease! Actually I was told from young that dogs chase cats just as cats chase rats. I couldn't believe seeing a photo in which two dogs watch passively as a cat eats their food (especially when one of the dogs must be more than 5 times the size of the cat).

      Delete
    7. Putt tolerates Molly, I think because they are of a similar size. But she dislikes Zhaan and bullies her. Putt often sits in a doorway and stops Zhaan from passing through, quite like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7znI_Kpzbs

      Delete
    8. Amusing video. Shows that even big dogs can be very timid or too good natured and that cats are extremely good poker players with a challenge to call their bluff ("come up if you dare, and see if I don't have something up my sleeve"). The scenario is like a small guy blocks a narrow alley way and a huge hunky fellow approaches him only to turn back thinking this guy could be a kungfu expert or has a gun or something. The video of Fleming shows that he called the cat's bluff and the cat chickened out.

      Delete
    9. Flem was a Jack Russell - look up the web for their personality. They were bred for fox hunting and they would have a go at anything.

      Delete
  2. One not so well-known trivia about cats. Cat is one of the 12 animals in the Vietnamese zodiac (horoscope), which is derived from the Chinese, but it is not in the Chinese zodiac and replaces the rabbit in the Chinese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_(zodiac)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. Shall show off that knowledge to the Vietnamese bakery lady that I frequent (the bakery, not the lady).

      Delete
    2. Impress her (haha ... need to be careful with the spacing) with further knowledge - ask her if she is a "con méo" (Vietnamese for cat) and tell her you are a "con chò" (dog). Hehe ...

      Delete
    3. I hope you're not trying to get me into trouble and "con cho" isn't something I shouldn't say in mixed company.

      Delete
    4. No, lah, I wouldn't want to get my old friends into trouble. Google online dictionary says "con chò" means "the dog" just as "con méo" means "the cat". I'm always intrigued by foreign language words. Maybe the "Hehe" ending of my last comment appeared to cast some kind of sinister intention. No such thing, I assure you. Just kind of amused. Best regards.

      Delete
    5. I was sure you were telling the truth - just stirring you up!

      Delete
    6. I guess that's what friends are for -- "stirring up"!

      Delete
  3. Dunno how many we have had already, all don't seem to last very long. My missus uses it mostly. I think the present one is Samsung too, last one was a Toshiba or something. Long long ago, when we moved to our present house in the late 80's, we had a non-automatic, Hitachi - have to transfer to dryer after washing - gave to my in-laws eventually...still going strong. The bottom line is these days, things are not made to last. Probably as long as their warranty and then problems will start to appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things are not well made these days, I agree. Every other day I read in the papers of products being recalled for some hazard or the other.

      Delete
  4. Nice post mate, keep up the great work, just shared this with my friendz Best Washing Machines Under 10000

    ReplyDelete